Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Front Wheels

The go kart parts that we ordered on eBay arrived over the weekend. Tonight I assembled the front wheels and attached them to the frame.

The wheels were easy to assemble. The bearings that allow the front wheel to spin freely on the spindle were slid through the wheel's center and came attached to the four bolts that hold the wheel together. I used a bicycle pump to inflate the tires to 35 psi.

Before the wheels could be attached, the brackets that allow the spindles to pivot were welded to the frame. Instead of welding each bracket directly to the existing frame, I first welded a small piece of square tubing to each bracket. This allowed for a greater weld area.

The wheels fit nicely onto the spindles and spin smoothly. I stood on the front of the kart, and the wheel assembly was able to hold my full body weight.

No comments: